Updated: Oct 27, 2021
Research has shown that women who experience anxiety are 3-5x more likely to have hot flashes – there is definitely a connection or relationship with peri & menopause.
Personally, from tracking my hot flash triggers worry or anxiety & hot flashes come hand in hand, yet sometimes I can’t tell which comes first.
The most common anxiety symptoms are tension, nervousness, panic & worry….but did you know it can show up as physical symptoms too, like an upset stomach, sweating, headaches & racing heart?
Why does it seem worse during Menopause?
Anxiety is influenced by fluctuation & declining hormones which is why we may notice it more during midlife & menopause.
These hormones include:
1. Serotonin – known as the “happy hormone” & affects our mood. It declines with age & decreasing estrogen levels
2. Estrogen – calms the fear response by increasing serotonin. Lowering estrogen happens during menopause
3. Progesterone – is known as the ‘calming hormone’ that may influence GABA – also lowers during menopause
4. GABA – neurotransmitter that produces a calming effect
Biologically, our body knows how to balance this interplay of our hormones but we need to support our body with proper foods & lifestyle habits so it can.
Find out here what the foods are critical to be eating during peri & menopause.
Foods & healthy dietary habits will make a difference for anxiety.
1. Keep your diet low in saturated fats & animal proteins
2. Focus on lots of vegetables & colorful foods rich in antioxidants
3. Foods high in B-vitamins & fiber
4. Brain healthy & hormone healthy fats
5. Cut out the sugary foods & processed foods
6. Think about your alcohol intake & switch to relaxing herbal teas after a hard day
Let’s review some healthy lifestyle habits that can reduce anxiety & stress
1. Get proper sleep & have a sleep routine
2. Get out in nature daily
3. Learn to meditate and breath deeply
4. Take care of yourself and ensure self-care time
5. Maintain a practice of gratitude or write in a journal
6. Prioritize downtime with family or friends
Recipe - Green Pineapple Smoothie
1 cup Frozen Pineapple
1 cup Baby Spinach
3/4 Baby Spinach
1/2 Apple (peeled and chopped)
1/4 Cucumber (chopped)
1/2 Lime (juiced)
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Leftovers - Best enjoyed immediately
Substitute - no spinach use kale instead
Consistency - for a thicker smoothie add some ice cubes
In Good Health, Wellness, and Love,
Want to learn more about feeling better and get a personalized meal plan? Contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can get a FREE 7 day meal plan - Contact | WellnessByTheWater
Click on my home page and book FREE consult today. Discovery | WellnessByTheWater